Advisor for Human Mobility in the Context of Climate Change in Djibouti
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) implements the Global Programme Human Mobility in the Context of Climate Change (GP HMCCC). The programme aims at improving the knowledge on how to address climate change related human mobility and support partner organizations in different regions across the globe in tackling these issues. BMZ also supports the programme “Strengthening IGAD Migration Policy Implementation” (SIMPI). The programme supports IGAD to perform its tasks in the areas of migration and displacement more effectively.
The GIZ - Human Mobility in the Context of Climate Change (GP HMCCC) Project in Djibouti is looking for a qualified person to fill the following position:
Post title: Advisor for Human Mobility in the Context of Climate Change
Contract duration: 2 years
Duty station: Djibouti with frequent travels to IGAD member states
Responsibilities and tasks include:
- Support the IGAD Migration Unit in implementing climate change-related aspects of the GCM, including supporting to the implementation of climate change-related aspects of a road map to implement the IGAD Free Movement of Persons Protocol, and ensuring climate change-related human mobility is addressed in national action plans for GCM implementation, the regional GCM review mechanism and the first International Migration Review Forum (in 2022).
- Collaborate closely with the IGAD Climate Prediction and Application Center (ICPAC) in Nairobi to improve the translation of analyses of climate change-related human mobility in the IGAD region into policy advice by IGAD Secretariat to the Member States.
- Organize and conduct capacity building activities for the IGAD Secretariat staff was well as IGAD partners on the national level to use improved ICPAC data on climate change-related human mobility for policy development and implementation.
- Manage external technical support to ICPAC including the management of any tender related issues.
- Support the work of the GIZ Global Programme on HMCCC by providing technical and political analyses concerning climate change, migration and displacement in the IGAD region on demand.
- Organize exchange formats between IGAD and other regional organizations on experiences and lessons learned with respect to HMCCC-related policy implementation
- Support IGAD to build coalitions with regional organizations and other actors to influence global dialogues on HMCCC-related policy issues (e.g. COP26, GFMD)
- Liaise and coordinate with other relevant regional programs and projects on climate change and human mobility, and in particular those implemented and supported by IOM, SDC/PDD, World Bank, and the European Union.
Required experience and qualifications:
- Master’s degree or higher in development studies, geography, rural development, economics or social science, PhD is an advantage
- Familiarity with the topics of climate change, migration and displacement and the respective global and regional policy frameworks
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience with and skills in policy formulation and policy advisory
- At least 3 years of professional experience in a comparable position
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner with team members and with multiple stakeholders at various levels from sub-national, national, regional and global levels.
- Good working knowledge of ITC technologies
- Strong managerial and organizational competence
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including cultural sensitivity
- Willingness to travel and have extended stays in remote border regions
- Excellent knowledge of English, knowledge of French is an asset
- Familiarity with and work experience in the Horn of Africa Region
- Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email
- The motivation letter and CV should be in English.
- Please make sure you mention the Vacancy Number “134/2020 ‘Advisor for Human Mobility in the Context of Climate Change’” in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers.
- Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
- We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
- To improve the diversity of our team, we will only consider female applicants for this position.